In our recent campaign the Lib Dems are urging everyone across the borough to shop local to help support small business. There is one particular item that everyone needs at the moment and that is the mask!
Most people are wearing masks, and we're starting to see a whole range of styles around, but one concern is that the environmental implication of single use masks are becoming apparent. Disposable masks contain plastics which pollute water and harm wildlife who get tangled in them. Unfortunately they are not recyclable nor are they biodegradable. The Liberal Democrats are calling on UK ministers to do more to encourage people to use reusable masks.
We thought a list of where to buy locally made reusable masks would be useful. Here is some great places we have come across – if you know of any others do let us know –
- Regal Dry Cleaners in Beckenham
- Crafty Needles in West Wickham High Street make reusable Fabric masks to order!
- Lisa sells reusable masks at Barclays in West Wickham with all of the profits going to St Christopher’s Hospice. Normally she makes items for their Christmas fair but this year has turned her hand to masks instead.
- Love Me Want Me Buy Me on etsy. Sarah who makes these live in Shortlands! She has a variety of styles on there, some with matching bags starting at £6 for an adults mask.
- Nanny & Stitch on Facebook do masks for £2.50!!
- Badgers Daughter on Facebook again do masks as well as drawstring bangs for things like hand sanitizer or wet wipes.
- Alison and Iain on Esty who live in ClockHouse have handmade masks, they also do masks for singers as well as children. All of the masks have nose wire, are cotton, filter pockets and are elastic free.
- Mad Cat Creations is a local husband and wife team who are based in Beckenham and have their own Facebook page. They are also supporting local schools with 5% of purchases goes to the PTA of Clare House Primary. If you are local to them (BR3) you can even collect for free to save on delivery costs. You can also buy them from Ollie and Dollie in Beckenham High Street.
- Verona Green – Lover of Fabrics on Facebook and Etsy has lots of masks for sale including taking bespoke orders!
- The Hand Stitched Home is based in Orpington and sells masks for £5. It also offers free local delivery to Petts Wood/Orpington.
- Monsieurmask.co.uk is run by Jacob who is based in Orpington. The masks are washable including washable filters and for each mask sold there is a 50p charitable donation. There is also free UK delivery.
Do let us know if you order any and send us pictures of you in your locally sourced masks!