Beckenham has seen very little road safety improvements over the last 10 years. Notorious rat-runs and speeding hotspots have been ignored; dangerous junctions have been ignored; treacherous crossing points have been ignored; calls from local people to improve road safety have been ignored.
Last year over 1400 signed our petition for a crossing on Copers Cope Road by New Beckenham Station on route to Worsley Bridge School - the Council installed an inadequate small refuge island and nothing has been done to deal with the prolific speeding along this road. We continue to campaign for a proper pedestrain crossing here and for speeding to be dealt with.
Over 3000 people signed our petition for a safe crossing on Village Way on the route to the Harris Academies on Manor Way - the Council finally conceded that something needed to be done and installed a pedestrian refuge. A good start but not the end of it - we'd prefer a zebra, but in the absence of that the yellow lines need to be extended to help visibility for drivers turning onto Village Way and the speed warning signs need to be much closer to the crossing. (And in case you're wondering, we did not campaign for the zebra crossing at the top of Village Way at the junction with the High Street - that isn't working at all but that's another campaign).
The rest of London is implementing innovative schemes to make streets safer for pedestrians and more liveable - Bromley Council are lagging behind and local people are being short-changed.
What can you do?
- Sign the Safer to School | Safer for All pledge to change Bromley Council's road safety, especially their requirement for Killed or Seriously Injured (KSI) statistics before taking action. Sign here
2. Sign the individual road safety campaigns to make roads safer for local people.
- Copers Cope Road Crossing Petition
- Copers Cope Road and Southend Rd Junction Road Safety
- Corner Ways Surgery (Manor Rd/Bromley Rd) Crossing petition
- Eden Park Avenue pedestrian crossing petition
- Village Way Crossing Petition