The Liberal Democrats have written to Mayor Sadiq Khan to appeal to him to investigate why moped crime in the Bromley Borough has escalated recently, in contrast to the rest of London. This is particularly rife in the Penge and Clock House area, where worried residents have told us of moped riders targeting schoolchildren on their way home, in Croydon Road Recreation Ground, for example, and both adults and children being robbed of jewellery, as well as mobile phones, in residential streets throughout the area, including between Croydon Road and Clock House Road.
In the letter we ask Mayor Khan:
1. Why do you think moped crime in Bromley has bucked the London wide trend and risen so sharply?
2. Do Clock House police (and neighbouring wards) have the required resources to tackle this upsurge in crime?
3. Do we need more CCTV cameras in the aforementioned ‘hot spots’?
4. Can you increase the tagging of mopeds, so that bikes that are stolen can be tracked and picked up so that they are off limits to gangs?
5. Why are local police counters and stations being closed when this increase in crime is so worrying to residents? Surely, this sends out the wrong signal.
If you would like to support our appeal to the mayor please sign here.